Australia’s world-class urban developments shine as winners announced in the 2020 UDIA Wingate National Awards for Excellence
Australia’s most exceptional urban development projects have been crowned as the 2020 winners of The Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) Wingate National Awards for Excellence at a special virtual awards announcement event this afternoon.
These annual awards shine a light on the world-class developments taking place across the nation and demonstrate excellence, quality and industry best practice, whilst celebrating the contributions of architects, engineers, environmental professionals and consultants.
“The winners across fifteen award categories are drawn from the best of the best in each state, as determined by our judges – highly experienced industry leaders Alan Zammit AM, Nicola Smith and Tony Marshall,” says Simon Basheer, UDIA National President.
“Winners include eleven world-class urban development projects, as well as the year’s best young leader, Women in Development leadership award and the organisation that demonstrated the strongest commitment to diversity.
“In addition, from all winners, one project received the President’s Award. This project must demonstrate outstanding achievement and the highest standards of practice.
“The recipient of the President’s Award must also be capable of making an exceptional contribution to the public standing of contemporary development in Australia and is only bestowed upon the best of the best,” he says.
The award process is rigorous, taking eight months from launch through to the completion of judging. The judges visit every site in person, as well as reviewing the accompanying written submissions.
“With 69 outstanding finalists, competition was fierce and our judges certainly had their work cut out for them.
“I wholeheartedly congratulate the 2020 award winners. They have truly demonstrated quality, innovation and outstanding excellence and should be proud of their tremendous achievements,” says Mr Basheer.
The winners of the 2020 UDIA Wingate National Awards for Excellence are:
• Frasers Property Women in Leadership Award – Helen Dyer, Holmes Dyer (SA)
• Young Leaders’ Award – Daniel Panickar, Eco Logical Australia (WA)
• Diversity in Development Award – Brisbane City Council (QLD)
• Medium Density Development Award – Muse, Neutral Bay by HELM Pty Limited (NSW)
• Residential Development Award – Arundel Springs by Villa World (QLD)
• Small Scale Development – Parkville by Oliver Hume (VIC)
• Social & Community Infrastructure Award – Armadale Fitness & Aquatic Centre by City of Armadale (WA)
• Environmental Excellence Award – Central Park by Frasers Property Australia & Sekisui House Australia (NSW)
• Marketing Excellence Award – West Village by Sekisui House Australia (QLD)
• Urban Renewal Award – Essendon Fields by Essendon Fields (VIC)
• Affordable Development Award – Jingeri by BHC Creating Liveable Communities (QLD)
• Seniors’ Living Award – Carmelite by Southern Cross Care SA&NT (SA)
• Masterplanned Development Award – Oceanside by Stockland (QLD)
• High Density Development Award – Cirque Mount Pleasant by Stirling Capital (WA)
• President’s Award – West Village by Sekisui House Australia (QLD)
High resolution photographs are available for each category.